How to Install Biodiesel Conversion Kits for Trucks
Biodiesel conversion kits for trucks are available for sale in the market. These kits have step-by-step instructions. It contains all the essential equipments needed to be able to alter any truck that runs on diesel in order for it to be able to run on SVO (straight vegetable oil).
" One of the benefits of getting hold of a conversion kit is that it gives you the choice of using 2 different fuels "
Even if the engine has already been converted, the use of diesel fuel is still possible. Think about having an engine that can run on petrodiesel and biodiesel. This is possible because the majority of these conversion kits that are readily available will help you install an additional fuel system to your truck. In these biodiesel kits for trucks, manufacturers provide a new SVO tank, some hoses, heating system located in the side of the tank.
The heating system is placed beside the fuel tank to enable the radiator to rotate radiator heat into the truck to the added system and easily facilitate the switching from diesel to SVO or vice versa.
Usually, when the trucks start up, the petrodiesel from the original tank will surge. When the engine and the biodiesel have been both heated for a sufficient period of time, you can click a switch. The fuel will then be delivered to the new SVO tank and not in the truck’s original tank. Don’t forget to reverse this method so that when the truck stops, there will be petrodiesel in the tank and in the fuel lines. Remember this because the SVO will turn into a jelly form when cooled.
But if you prefer to use old vegetable oil in a biodiesel converted engine, you have to filter it first in order to avoid clogging the fuel lines. The ideal way to perform this is to do the filtration repeatedly through a series of filter that has small mesh. These kinds of filters are common and can be bought from your neighborhood auto supply. It comes in different sizes of mesh. Converting diesel to biodiesel has positive effects for the environment and can help you save dollars in the long run.
Below are steps on how to install biodiesel conversion kit:
1. Build the alternate fuel tank up. It can be on the truck bed, spare rack or tool box. Choose a site that will let you do the running of fuel lines into the engine easily.
2. Install a biodiesel heater (heat exchanger). Do this to heat the biodiesel to 160 degrees F. Reroute a radiator engine line to the tank or install a detached heat exchanger.
3. Run metal or polyethylene fuel lines to the fuel injector pump of the engine. Install an SVO fuel filter in the fuel line before the injector pump.
4. Route the added fuel lines into the injector pump. Fit in a selector valve with three ports at the meeting point of the injector pump and the fuel lines. This will make you switch fuels while you are inside your truck
5. Upon properly installing the system start your engine and run it. An ideal way will be to ignite the engine with regular diesel before making the switch to biodiesel. The alternative fuel system needs more time before it can heat to an ideal temperature, especially in times of cooler climate.
Knowing how to convert a truck into biodiesel, here are a few tips to remember:
o Choose the biodiesel with reputable quality.
o Clean the fuel systems every six months, at least.
o Before using biodiesel conversion kit, make sure you have the proper knowledge of engines.
o Use biodiesel that has been filtered adequately. Filter the fuel before filling the tank.
o Older vehicles have warranties and they are the most ideal trucks for conversion.
Conversion kits are easy for those who are mechanically inclined. They are available in many types.
The price is affordable, but some kits have high prices. These kits have added features included. The costliest conversion kit are the units that control the odors during the process if refinement. The most convenient kit to use is the expensive ones.
" If your truck had been converted, you will notice the big savings on your fuel bill "
The conversion from diesel to biodiesel is cost effective in the long run.