Biomass Energy as Efficient Alternative Energy Source
Biomass energy is considered today as among the efficient and reliable sources of alternative energy. It is a good alternative energy resource because it uses biological materials that also came from living things or organisms which have recently ceased to live to produce clean energy.
Examples of materials that can be used are wood, waste from plants and forests, hydrogen gas and even alcohol fuels. Plants also give out energy when it is still alive. With the right technology, energy can be derived from plant matter. Forest residues can also be used to generate biomass power. The most common forest residues which are being utilized today are the dead tress, branches and even tree stumps. Garbage which are from the yard can also be good source of biomass energy like the clippings, wood chips and other garbage that we often just dump. Proper processing of the biological and organic materials will result to production of biofuel.
Is biomass renewable or non renewable?
Non renewable energy sources are already fast depleting. We are highly dependent on the fossil fuels to be able to generate power and thermal energy. Problem is, there is no way to reproduce the non renewable resources. Fossil fuels like coal and oil can only be regenerated through the slow process of nature. At the rate that these resources are being consumed today, nature can not possibly cope up anymore. So, these are bound to be completely gone if it remains as the only energy source.
Biomass is a renewable energy resource. The biological and organic materials being used to bioenergy can be easily replaced. For example, the crops which can produce power can be easily planted during the next crop. The biodegradable materials, animal manure and other wastes are continuously being produced as a result of our day to day activities. Biomass energy does not use up any of the available natural resources that can not be replaced anymore.
There are still some people who are confused and still ask the question: Is biomass renewable or non renewable? The reason is because fossil fuels are sometimes interchanged with biomass. Fossil fuels also have the decayed and degraded organic materials. Yet, it is not considered as biomass because transforming it involves geological processes which take a really long time. Fossil fuels like coal and petroleum are not biomass since these are non renewable resources and utilizing it for power takes a whole new different process. Fossil fuels also emit pollutants not like biogas which only produce clean energy.
What are the different types of biomass?
There are common types of biomass that are being used today.
First type of biomass are the wood and agricultural products. Energy may be generated from wood that have been directly harvested for fuel as well as the by products of the lumber industry. This includes the pulping liquor being produced when the wood is processed as paper and wood chips.
Second type of biomass is solid wastes. Solid wastes are the common garbage being produced daily in households and other establishments. The leftover food, meat, product packaging, and other common garbage are now useful because it can be used as source of energy.
Third type of biomass is landfill gas. The wastes collected in land fill also emit gas. This is collected to produce energy. Then the wastes break down because of anaerobic microbiological action, methane and carbon dioxide is emitted and this can be used for power.
Fourth type of biomass is alcohol fuels. This comes from crops like corn and sugar cane. When these crops are fermented, it can produce ethanol.
Lastly, there is also ocean biomass wherein algae are being used to produce energy.
- - Do not start to yawn when the word biomass is mentioned. There are a lot of interesting biomass facts that can really fascinate you. The history, processes and benefits of using biomass as alternative energy can catch your attention. Know more about biomass and it will be helpful for the environment and for you too.
How is Biomass Produced
- - Biomass materials can be easily produced that is why it is a good source of energy. It can be derived fro agricultural wastes, lumber industry waste, animal manure and even the daily garbage. If use of biomass power is further developed, there will be reduction on the consumption of non renewable materials like fossil fuels.
Define Biomass Fuel
- - The best way to define biomass fuel is that it is the heat and power produced when biomatter goes through gasification, combustion, alcohol fermentation or gas capture. Processing biomass can produce biofuel like alcohol fuel and methane gas. These can be used to power engines and produce thermal energy for cooking.
How Does Biomass Work
- - Biomass can yield sufficient energy when it is properly processed and converted to forms that can be utilized as fuel. There are different ways on how to process biomatter and that includes thermal, chemical and biochemical conversion. These methods change biomass materials chemically so that it can be easily used in generating alternative energy.
How Does Biomass Generate Electricity
- - There are different methods to convert biomass materials to usable energy and this includes direct fired method, co-firing method, pyrolsis process, landfill gas capture and Anaerobic Digestion or AD. All of which can successfully derive useful energy from plants, wood, waste and even manure. Each just needs to be developed to produce sufficient energy.
Biomass and Carbon Cycle
- - Biomass cycle is closely intertwined with the carbon cycle of the environment. When too much carbon is released in the atmosphere, it can significantly worsen the destruction of the planet. Since biomass energy production means converting the carbon in organic materials, it contributes a lot in reducing the pollutants in the environment.
Advatages And Disadvatages of Biomass Power
- - When searching for alternative energy source, we all have to consider the pros and cons. That way, wise decisions can be made so that both the environment and the humans can benefit. Biomass energy has a lot of positive effects but the negative side of it should not be ignored too.
- - History of Biomass can be traced back from decades ago. It was in 1970s when biomass energy was officially recognized although it has been used as source of energy from earlier dates. Until today, scientists and researchers continue to develop the technology for biomass energy in order to find an efficient alternative energy source.
What is Biomass Energy Used For
- - More people will be open to utilizing biomass energy if they know exactly how it can be used and how they can apply it to their daily lives. With the technology that is available these days, biomass can provide thermal energy for small industries, homes and can also be utilized for cooking.
Biomass Energy For Kids
- - Biomass energy is a concept that kids should know about because eventually, they will be the ones to continue the progress. They need to know why it is important to have alternative energy source. Then, they have to understand how biomass energy is generated from plants, waste garbage and even manure.
Tax Credit For Stove
- - The implementation of tax credit for biomass stove encourages more people to opt for equipment that uses sustainable energy. Those who will opt for biomass stoves and other alternative energy powered equipment gets incentives for their participation in protecting the environment. The tax credit can go as high as 30% of up to $1,500 of expenses.
- - Biomass Boiler Cost is definitely lower than using boilers that are powered by fossil fuels. You may need to initially spend on purchasing the new boiler and having it installed but the savings you will get from it is much more. The best thing is that, you can cut your bills while saving the environment too.
- - People question biomass efficiency because they are sometimes unaware of the tons of benefits that it can provide. Facts and figures have shown how much potential biomass energy has. The studies, researches and developments that are being done regarding biomass energy should be continued so that eventually, it can replace the fossil fuels.
- - Biomass calculator is utilized mostly by foresters to be able to determine the amount of biomass within an ecosystem. This is different from the method of measuring the volume of trees per hectare because it is focused more on the amount of dry mass. It also reflects ecological changes over time which allows people to take necessary measures.
- - Torrefaction process also makes use of the biomass materials so that alternative energy can be created. The end product of torrefaction can also give off as much energy as coal which significantly reduces the demand for fossil fuels. Today, the torrefied biomass can already be used to power industial and residential establishments.
What is Fermentation Process
- - Knowing what is fermentation process for biomass can strengthen this technology as a source of alternative energy. Biomass fermentation involves processing of crops like corn and sugarcane so that ethanol fuel can be produced. This may then be used as biofuel which can provide thermal energy and power for our daily needs.
What is Pyrolysis
- - Pyrolysis is a method of converting biomass materials like wood, plants, municipal waste, household waste and agricultural by products so that it can be used as an alternative source of energy. The end product of this process is called pyrolysis oil. This can be directly used as source of thermal energy or electricity.
- - Biomass densification has actually contributed a lot when it comes to supplying alternative energy that can be used for out daily needs. Biomass densification means removing the air and void space in biomass materials so that the volume can be reduced. This produces pellets that are more efficient in generating energy.
- - Biomass dryers convert raw biomass materials to biofuel that is easier to handle, store, transport and use. The main purpose of it is to draw out the moisture in biomass materials so that it can be more efficient when it comes to energy production. Today, more and more types of biomass dryers are available.
- - Biomass heaters are already being used in various industries these days. There are even biomass heating systems which can be easily installed in homes. Today, there are four types of biomass heating systems which includes, fully automated, semi automated or surge bin, pellet fired and combined heat and power system.
- - The lumber industry also creates waste in the process. There are dead trees, stump, cut branches and other wood by products of the process. Biomass harvester collects all these so that it could no longer cause forest fire. Furthermore, these wood materials are then processed and converted to usable alternative energy.
- - The biomass pelletizer has contributed a lot when it comes to producing biofuel. It successfully converts the bulky, decomposing and moisture rich biomass materials into small and uniformly sized pellets. These pellets can then be directly used for stoves to produce thermal energy for home and even for industrial establishments.
Commercial Biomass Boilers
- - Companies have turned to commercial biomass boilers not only to become proactive in the preservation of nature but also because they want to save on their overhead expenses. The biomass boilers can satisfy the extensive energy demand of various industries. It reduces the use f fast depleting fossil fuels and also lowers the amount of pollution in the atmosphere.
- - Bamboo biomass is considered as one of the best options when it comes to producing alternative energy. It is easy to grow bamboo as long as the climate conditions are right and the soil is favourable for growth. It even has less moisture so conversion of it into biofuel is much easier.
- - The use of biomass cars are gaining popularity not only because of its environmental benefits but also because of how efficient it is in cutting fuel bills. History has reflected that the use of biomass energy for fuel has long been done. These days, modern vehicles and other modes of transportation are converting to biofuel again.