FAQs on Geothermal Energy
Geothermal energy is counted as one of the leading alternative energy resources. Considered to be a clean and sustainable energy resource compared to the traditional energy sources, this energy resource is getting a good coverage for many years now thanks to the ‘green revolution’ and the attention being showered by the federal governments in the form of tax breaks and grants. But still, it’s still a long way to go before there can be a complete adoption of geothermal power.
Some sectors of the population are still poorly informed on what can be expected from this energy option, how geothermal electricity is produced and how one can can take advantage of the government-initiated tax breaks and incentives. For those looking to completely understand the workings, operations and the generation of energy and electricity from geothermal a look at the definition of geothermal energy will definitely help.
What is geothermal energy?
Geothermal is taken from the two root words, ‘geo’ which means Earth and ‘thermal’ which is heat. These two words generally sum up the answer for the question, where does geothermal energy come from. This is the heat and power coming from the interior of the Earth, and the heat and power are sourced and brought to the surface through geothermal drilling. The process includes the drilling of water or steam wells and the process can be likened to the drilling of oil. The drilling processes can be a shallow one, or these can reach several miles below and can even reach the hot and the molten rock known as magma. Right now, major companies and research firms are the leading players involved in drilling and in exploring the Earth’s interior and in looking for ‘hot spots’ for this type of energy. And these companies are the ones that are also involved in the installation of geothermal power plants.
There are three different types of power plants that operate and tap the power of the Earth’s energy and heat. The list includes the dry steam plants, the flash steam plants and the binary-cycle plants. The dry steam plants are the installations that directly use the steam in order to turn turbines and create electricity. The flash steam plants on the other hand pull the high pressure hot water in the low pressure tanks and the generated steam is used to drive the turbines. And there are the binary-cycle plants that pass the moderately hot geothermal liquid by the secondary liquid with a much lower boiling point. Vapor is the created and this powers the turbine.
The many uses of this form of energy
Right now, this alternative energy is used in different applications. The low temperature energy is used by communities for space heating and in the maintenance of greenhouses. Geothermal heat pumps are usually used in many homes in order to maintain the heating and the cooling. The energy is also used for industrial and commercial applications including its use and role in gold mining. Even spas and resorts depend on the heat coming from the Earth’s interior. With the researches and explorations still on-going, it should not be surprising to learn other uses for this natural and sustainable energy.
How is Geothermal Energy Collected
- - Before geothermal heat and energy can be harnessed, these resources should be sourced and properly tapped first. And this will answer the question on how is geothermal power collected. Now there are a number of ways on how to do that, and these different processes can be observed and validated when checking the geothermal power plants.
Diagram Of Geothermal Energy
- - Want to properly understand the operations of the geothermal energy and the geothermal power plants? If yes, then you may want to consider checking and studying a diagram of geothermal. This simplifies the operations of the plants, and will make you understand the complex processes better.
Geothermal For Kids
- - Taken from the two Greek words ‘geo’ and ‘therme’, geothermal energy is one important topic that everyone should consider studying. And this shouldn’t stop kids and the young at heart from discovering the benefits of geothermal energy. There are some interesting facts to learn, ideas to treasure in many modules on geothermal energy for kids.
- - Geothermal gradient calculation is an important concept in understanding the processes involved in geothermal energy. Simply put, the calculated value will help explorers and researchers find possible areas that can be tapped for geothermal power.
Ground Loop Design
- - In a geothermal heat pump, one important component is the geothermal loop. Now the kind of geothermal ground loop design may vary from one enthusiast from the other, and you can check out online resources to find out what’s right for you.
- - Want to know more about geothermal energy as a renewable energy? If this is the case, then you may want to consider checking some of the leading geothermal facts. You will learn why this is cheap and a recommended option once the traditional sources are already depleted.
Geothermal Power Advantages And Disadvantages
- - Geothermal energy may be getting all the love and attention right now, but it should be cleared that there are geothermal power advantages and disadvantages. It is still important to know the drawbacks in order to fully understand and fully utilize this renewable source.
History Of Geothermal
- - Geothermal is not a new resource; for thousands of years, this renewable energy has been used and utilized by the early settlers and civilizations. And for many centuries and by checking out the history of geothermal energy, it can be seen that civilizations and communities have utilized and tapped this resource in many ways.
Where Are Geothermal Power Plants Located
- - Geothermal plants cannot be just established in an area where the government wants it to be; there are some requirements that should be met as well. So where are geothermal plants located? It all depends on a number of things, including geographical location.
Types of Geothermal Power Plants
- - There are different types of geothermal plants, and it’s important that you should be aware of their differences and similarities. Each one is used for a different technology, and works in a different way.
How Much Geothermal Cost
- - Geothermal energy promises to be a good alternative to traditional energy sources, but is it worth it? How much does geothermal power cost? If consumers will take some time off to research, then it will be discovered that this comes in cheap especially at the generation and the maintenance phase.
- - If you are looking for another way on how to functionally make your home energy-efficient, then you have to check out geothermal homes. Just like solar-powered homes, these homes are fitted with systems that make use of renewable energies that add up to the value of the property. Instead of the heat from the sun, these systems take the heat coming from the Earth.
Ground Source Heat Pumps Price
- - Examples of geothermal systems that are perfect for home use are the ground source heat pumps. These pumps deliver the warmth and the cool air when needed. But before ordering units, make sure that you know the prevailing ground source heat pumps price.
Heating and Cooling Tax Credit
- - Did you know that you can save if you go geothermal? That’s right; the federal government offers incentives in the form of geothermal heating and cooling tax credit to help subsidize the cost of installing the systems.
DIY Geothermal Heating And Cooling
- - Heat pumps are excellent additions to homes. Its installation is not for the DIY, but if you are looking for a DIY geothermal heating and cooling solution, then make sure that all the right steps are followed and the right tools are used.
How Geothermal Heat Pump Works
- - Before everyone can fully take advantage of the benefits of renewable energy in the form of geothermal energy, its best to learn first how geothermal heat pump works. Heat pumps are geothermal systems that act as heat exchangers- making your homes cooler during summer and giving you warmth during winter.
Ground Source Heat Pumps Grants
- - Households can take advantage of the ground source heat grants if they want to enjoy the benefits of geothermal systems and at the same time save on installation costs. The grants are offered by the Department of Treasury, and there are requirements that should be met.
- - There are a number of uses for geothermal energy, and count geothermal greenhouse as part of the list. It’s steady and low temperature is best for the greenhouse, and in growing herbs and other plants and flowers.