The Workings of the Micro Hydroelectric Generator
The micro hydroelectric generator has become too important for a number of industries.
In fact this is the go-to power source for many industries off the grid and too far from the main source of electricity.
And since this is a micro hydroelectric type, then it should be noted that this can produce up to only 100 kW of power. Because of this minimal power output, the use of this generator is often seen on isolated homes or small communities and industries. And there are times as well when this is connected to the electric power networks.
In common applications, the micro hydroelectric generator is battery-powered, and if this is the case then this uses the automotive alternator. Now there is a need to properly select and rewound the part since if this can be done a better performance can be expected. Also the rheostat can be installed and fitted in the field circuit and this is used to maximize the output.
The other type of generator that is used together with the micro hydroelectric turbines is the DC motor. On this type of generator, the permanent magnet is needed. The only issue is that there is serious maintenance issues associated with this kind of generator since the output will pass through the carbon brushes.
For more detailed operations of the micro hydroelectric generator and its interaction with the micro hydroelectric turbine, the following major activities can help clear out some questions.
1. At the start of the operations, the water will flow through the dam and a big wheels will be turned these are the micro hydro turbines. The turbines then turn the shaft that rotate the series of magnets past the coils made from copper and the generator in order to generate electricity.
2. The whole micro hydro power kits will include the Kaplan Heads and these are the hydraulic that are associated with the adjustable blades that can be found on the turbine. There is a reason for the presence of the adjustable blades since these are known to be more efficient though there are water flow and energy demands.
3. An important component of the generator is the rotor, and this is simply a series of magnets. This is referred to as the rotating section of the generator and this is the space as well where the magnetic field is made.
4. Another important component of the generator is the stator. From the name of the component itself, it’s wise to think that this is the stationary part of the generator. And this is made up of coils and the copper wire. The electricity that we know it is produced when the rotor will spin past the wiring that is stationary.
5. Another important component is the shaft and this is the one that connects the turbine to the rotor. And when these three major components are made to turn, then the speed can reach up to 90 revolutions per minute.
6. Also take note of the wicket gates, these are 20 adjustable vanes that look like blinds and these are the ‘gates’ that control the flow of water to the turbine. And it is the turbine that converts the power of falling water into mechanical energy that will force the micro hydro turbine generator.
Generators are important equipments and these should not be taken for granted. And the micro kits are most important for any off-grid site.